Applied Management Systems, Inc. (AMS) is a recognized industry leader in providing laboratories with hospital benchmarking, analytical tools and strategic operational insights to help them optimize operations and services, grow outreach market share, ensure staffing, workload, instrumentation and processes are perfectly matched, and aggressively counter the challenge of decreasing reimbursement for services. We provide a comprehensive array of operational and strategic consulting to hospital-based and independent clinical and anatomic pathology laboratories nationwide. We have developed one of the most extensive and detailed databases of staffing and labor productivity benchmarks in use today in addition to hospital best practice in all key areas of laboratory operations and management.
Our laboratory consulting experience extends to all clinical and anatomic pathology disciplines including clinical chemistry and toxicology, hematology and coagulation, microbiology, transfusion medicine and blood banking, histology, cytology, molecular diagnostics, flow cytometry, cytogenetics and others. AMS benchmarks and hospital best practice are also widely used in management of laboratory information systems, outreach planning, development and management, client services, marketing and billing, as well as specimen processing, phlebotomy, and point of care testing.
AMS lab consultants also have broad experience in laboratory information systems, process and analytical automation, auto-verification and billing and reimbursement. We are also frequently engaged in projects important to the professional practice of pathologists including staffing and productivity, compensation, and contract negotiations.
AMS laboratory consulting engagements often include one or more of the following key strategic categories:
- Detailed operational assessments and hospital workflow analyses
- Staffing and labor productivity hospital benchmarking studies
- Hospital productivity monitoring for physician, technical and support staff
- Process and efficiency improvement
- CPT-4 coding, billing and reimbursement studies, cost management and charge master reviews
- RFP projects for instruments, information systems and reference lab services
- Outreach business development, strategic planning, profitability studies, market opportunity assessments and outreach readiness studies
- Laboratory consolidation feasibility studies, and development of core laboratories
- Hospital interim management
- Facilities planning and design and project management for lab relocation
- Organizational structure and hospital span of control analysis and recommendations
- Management skills assessment
- Quality assessments
- Pathologist professional practice issues